They played 90 holes over a grueling 5 day period, but it all ended Sunday with nine players earning full time status on the LPGA Tour for the very first time.
|Tiffany Chan will be the first LPGA player from Hong Kong.|
There were 165 players who teed it up on Wednesday, and the field was cut to the top 70 and ties for Sunday's final round.
Many of these players were seeking LPGA tour membership for the very first time. Only the top 20 finishers would be rewarded with full time playing privileges on the LPGA tour in 2018. Of those 20 players, nine of them will be rookies playing on the LPGA tour for the very first time.
- Tiffany Chan (24 years old) - Hong Kong - She will be the first player from Hong Kong to ever play on the LPGA tour.
- Rebecca Artis (29) - Coonabarabran, Australia - Has two wins on the Ladies Europeon Tour.
- Luna Sobron Galmes (23) - Palma De Mallorca, Spain
- Robynn Ree (20) - Rendondo Beach, California
- Lauren Coughlin (25) - Charlottesville, Virginia
- Georgia Hall (21) - Wimborne, England - Currently #41 on the Rolex Rankings, and 2017 Solheim Cup member of Team Europe.
- Kassidy Teare (23) - San Diego, California
- Gemma Dryburgh (24) - Aberdenn, Scotland
- Maria Torres - San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Georgia Hall will be one of the favorites to win top rookie honors in 2018.|
The above 9 players will be joined on the LPGA tour by 7 other rookies who last month received their full time 2018 LPGA playing privileges by finishing in the top 10 on the 2017 Symetra Tour money list. They are as follows:
- Hannah Green
- Nanna Koertz Madsen
- Yu Liu
- Erynne Lee
- Lindsey Weaver
- Emma Talley
- Katelyn Dambaugh
|Nanna Koertz Madsen won 3 times on the Symetra Tour in 2017.|
The LPGA will have one additional rookie in 2018 as KLPGA star, Jin Young Ko, earned her LPGA membership by winning the KEB Hana Bank Championship last October.
|Jin Young Ko will be trying to be the 4th consecutive Louise Suggs Rookie of the Year winner from South Korea.|
For the 17 players listed above, it is a dream come true. I am sure you will all join me in wishing them success during the upcoming 2018 season.
Note: There will be 30 rookies on the LPGA tour in 2018, as 13 other players earned partial status for the upcoming season.
This Week's Trivia Question:
Who is the only player to win the final phase of LPGA Qualifying School twice?
For the answer to this week's trivia question press here.
Follow @tonyjesselli (Currently 1,381 followers)