This will be the 6th year that this tournament is on the LPGA schedule. Many may remember last year's exciting finish, when Mingee Lee came from behind to take home the winning trophy. She shot a final 64 to finish one stroke better than both Katie Burnett and In Gee Chun.
|Minjee Lee celebrates after winning the 2016 Lotte Championship|
This will be tournament #8 of 34 on this year's LPGA schedule.
Here are the key details:
Course: Ko Olina Golf Club
Location: Kapolei, Hawaii
Defending Champion: Minjee Lee
Winning Score: 68-66-74-64 = 272 (-16)
Final Field: 144 players
My strength of field rating is 64% (up from 59% last year). Thirty-Six of the top 50 players from the LPGA Priority List, and Fourteen of the top 25 players from the Rolex Rankings will be teeing it up. The field will include the top three world ranked players: Lydia Ko, So Yeon Ryu, and Ariya Jutanugarn. Players skipping the event this week include: Shanshan Feng, Sei Young Kim, Anna Nordqvist, Lexi Thompson, Suzann Pettersen, and both the Korda sisters.
I will post the pairings as soon as they are made available.
Apr 12 - GC 7:00 PM-11:00 PM ET (Wednesday start)
Apr 13 - GC 7:00 PM-11:00 PM ET
Apr 14 - GC 7:00 PM-11:00 PM ET
Apr 15 - GC 7:00 PM-11:00 PM ET (Saturday finish)
Players Most likely to win: (Top players in the field)
- Lydia Ko - Number one player in the world is not playing well, but is always dangerous.
- So Yeon Ryu - Now ranked #2, she has not finished out of the top 10 all year.
- Ariya Jutanugarn - Number 3, and overdue for a victory.
Players to watch out for: (I'm feeling it this week)
- Minjee Lee - Defending champion played well last week at the ANA Inspiration.
- Sung Hyun Park - Always a betting favorite, but windy conditions could hurt her game (a high ball hitter).
- Michelle Wie - Is playing her best golf in quite some time, and has won here already.
Longshot Picks: (Not likely, but not impossible)
- Mo Martin - A very good player in windy conditions.
- Carlota Ciganda - Just a gut feeling
- Chella Choi - has finished 15th, 4th, and 5th the last 3 years here.
This Week's Trivia Question: (This one is especially tough!)
For the answer to this week's trivia question press here.
Here are the final results:
|2||In Gee Chun||-17|
|6||So Yeon Ryu||-15|
|16||Eun Jeong Seong||-10|
|16||Mi Jung Hur||-10|
Be sure to check back here daily for any LPGA news or updates. They will be posted here at the bottom of this blog. Links to all Women's Tour scoreboards can be found at the top of this page.
Follow @tonyjesselli (Currently 1,539 followers)