Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Evian Championship Preview, Pairings, and More

Image result for 2016 evian championship

After a week off, the LPGA is back in action this week with the playing of the Evian Championship. The final major championship on the 2016 LPGA schedule.

Lydia Ko will be trying to defend the title she won last year when she shot a final round 63, to finish 6 shots better than runner-up Lexi Thompson.

With this being the final major of the season, it will also have a huge impact on many of the end of the season awards. For Example:

• Lydia Ko's lead over Ariya Jutanugarn for Rolex Player of the Year (and a Hall of Fame point) has been reduced to just 5 points. With this being a major championship, the winner will receive 60 points.
  • Lydia's once huge lead in the Race for the CME Globe ($1 Million Dollars) over Ariya Jutanugarn has been reduced to just 248 points. With this being a major championship, the winner will receive 625 points.
  • Lydia's lead on top of this year's money list has shrunk to just $250,000.00 over (you guessed it) Ariya Jutanugarn. The winner will receive $487,500.00
The first four major championships of the 2016 season, have been won by 4 different players from 4 different countries:
  • ANA Inspiration - Lydia Ko (New Zealand)
  • KPMG Women's PGA Championship - Brooke Henderson (Canada)
  • The U.S. Women's Open - Brittany Lang (USA)
  • The Ricoh British Open - Ariya Jutanugarn (Thailand)
Will we get our first repeat major championship winner of 2016?

Image result for 2015 evian championship
Lydia Ko will be trying to defend her Evian Championship.

This will be tournament #25 of 33 on the 2016 LPGA schedule. It is also the fifth and final major of the year.

Here are the Key Details:

Course:  Evian Resort Golf Club
Location:  Evian-les-Bains, France
Defending Champion:  Lydia Ko
Winning Score:  69-69-67-63 = 268 (-16)

Final Field: 120 players
Par:  35/36 = 71
Yardage:  6,453
Purse:  $3,250,000

My strength of field rating is a very high 85% (up from 77.5 last year). It is the 4th strongest field of the year, topped only by the ANA Inspiration, The KPMG, and the U.S. Women's Open. Those fields came out higher because they had more top players playing from other tours. All the top LPGA players will be on hand this week with the exception of the injured Inbee Park. Sun Hyun Park and Jin Young Ko, are the top players from the KLPGA that will be teeing it up.

Here are the television times:
GC   Thurs. Sept.15  5:00 a.m.- 8:00 a.m. ET
GC   Thurs. Sept.15  9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ET
GC   Friday Sept.16  5:00 a.m.- 8:00 a.m. ET
GC   Friday Sept.16  9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ET
GC   Sat.     Sept.17  6:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m. ET
GC   Sun.    Sept.18  8:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. ET (tape delay)
NBC Sun.    Sept.18  12:00 - 1:30 pm. ET (tape delay)

Here are my Pak Picker picks for this week's tournament.
1- Lydia Ko
2- Ariya Jutanugarn
3- Sun Hyun Park
4- Brooke Henderson
5- Lexi Thompson
6- Stacy Lewis
7- In Gee Chun
8- Amy Yang
9- Shanshan Feng
10- So Yeon Ryu
11-  Minjee Lee
12- Ha Na Jang

After the first 24 weeks of the LPGA season, I currently reside in first place among the 20 participants.

I would also like to take this time to thank all of my readers that send me e-mails almost every single day. I don't have the time to answer them all, but they are certainly appreciated.

I received this just now as I was putting this blog together:

Hi Tony,
I just wanted to comment on how much I like your blog and effort that you put into it.  Having followed the LPGA for a number of years, I find that your analysis of the tournaments and players offers a different perspective that is not available from other news feeds.  I try to make two or three of the tournaments a year. Maybe we will run into each other.
Thanks.
Rick

As most of you know, I don't get paid for what I do here. You have never seen an advertisement on my blog. I do not make a single penny. I do this strictly to help promote the sport that I love. I feel these ladies don't get enough media coverage or respect. I hope to make a small difference. Receiving letters, like the one above, makes all the time and research I put into this worthwhile.

Links to all live scoreboards appear at the top of this page. Be sure to check back here daily for any updates. They will be posted here, at the end of this blog.

Here are the final results:

1 In Gee Chun -21
14 Candie Kung -4
17 Jenny Shin -3
17 Mi Jung Hur -3
17 Carlota Ciganda -3
17 Ha-Na Jang -3
17 Jennifer Song -3

Follow @tonyjesselli  on Twitter (Currently 1,485 followers)

1 comment:

1. Thank you Tony for all the work you do. I appreciate how you take information and make analysis and predictions. Shout out to your wife for letting you take on this endeavor.

Look forward to the Evian. I like a tournament that has a sense of identity. You look at the TV and you can tell what event you are at. And I like that Evian invested in the LPGA when others were stepping away.

Congrats to In Kyong Kim for her five shot victory at the ISPS Handa Ladies European Masters. She's had a rough year so its good to see her finally have some success. A great ambassador for the game of golf. Hopefully she can build on that success this week with a positive result.

Hoped we would see Jiyai Shin this week. She won this tournament in 2010. I would like to see her play more LPGA events.

Sports medic